In an attempt to solve the problem of shipwrecks on Lundy in fog a signal station was established low down on the western cliffs in 1862. Two old cannon were mounted and fired a blank shot every 10 minutes. These were replaced by rockets in 1878 and the site abandoned when the North Light and South Light were constructed in 1897.

Battery 776A1322The cannon were kept in a solidly constructed gun house with the one in use projecting from the front. The roof was of lightweight construction to allow blast to escape in the event of an explosion. Steps cut in the rock behind lead past the magazine to two cottages for the gunners and their families - at one time home to 13 people.

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla! and hosted by Stablepoint